These are the terms and conditions of use and the privacy and cookies policy for elararchive.org (website). The website is operated by the Endangered Languages Archive (ELAR, we, us and our). We are a digital archive located at SOAS University of London. Your use of the website is subject to these terms and conditions. We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions from time to time by updating them on the website.
ELAR provides access to materials which remain the property of their depositors and information providers. By agreeing to the Terms and Conditions and Data Protection statement below, you undertake to use any materials for private study purposes only, and you undertake not to make any further copies, nor to distribute, publish, broadcast or disseminate, any part of any material however modified without explicit written permission. ELAR will hold data about you and may provide it to the owners of materials and others in accordance with UK and EU laws and only for the purposes of management and protection of materials.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT
- I declare that I am the person named as the User, and that I am legally capable of entering into this agreement with ELAR.
- “Materials” refers to all or any part of data received, or played on any equipment, or any further material derived from or originating in the data received.
- I will use the materials only for non-commercial private research or educational activity. Any other usage needs explicit written agreement from the depositor and any other rights holders.
- I will not transfer the materials to any other person or equipment, or do anything to allow such transfer to take place, unless permitted by an explicit written agreement from the depositor and any other rights holders.
- The materials may include documents that state further conditions of use or instructions for acknowledgement. I will make reasonable efforts to identify such documents and I will observe any stated restrictions or instructions.
- If the materials are used in any way in the preparation of any publication, broadcast or dissemination, I will acknowledge ELAR and, if required, the depositor and any other rights holders in the materials. I will, wherever possible, send a copy of such publication to ELAR.
- I will not knowingly use materials for any purpose which causes disparagement, disrespect, damage to reputation, or harm to any individual or group.
- I understand that the materials are supplied “as is”, and are not guaranteed to fulfil any purpose or function, or to be compatible with any particular computing system or software. I release and indemnify ELAR from any damages or consequences resulting from my receipt or use of the materials. I understand that ELAR may take legal action on behalf of owners of materials in the case of serious infringement of this agreement.
- ELAR collects personal data to create User Accounts, to facilitate users’ access to ELAR’s resources, and to manage, protect, and report usage of materials. ELAR will only collect such personal data as necessary to fulfil these purposes, which are in the legitimate interests of the ELAR and users and do not override users’ data protection rights and freedoms. ELAR will store data about users and their access to materials for as long as its discovery layer is operative for reporting purposes. In case of migration, the personal details collected by the legacy system will not be stored in a way that identifies the users. All personal data will be stored securely in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom and the European Union. I understand that the data may identify me and may be shared with the owners of the materials and others only for the purposes of managing the materials. ELAR may contact me in the future about my Account using the contact details I have provided.
- I have read this agreement and agree to be bound by it.
If you wish to access the information ELAR holds about you, or you require further information on how ELAR processes your data, ELAR processes your data, visit our Data Protection at SOAS pages, or contact contact the Information Compliance Manager, SOAS Library, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG, UK (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
TAKE DOWN POLICY
If you believe that material should be taken down or reviewed, please contact us by email at email@example.com or in writing at
Endangered Languages Archive
SOAS University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
WC1H 0XG London
Please provide the information detailed below:
1. your name and contact details
2. details of the material, including the URL at which the material was found
3. the reason for why you think the material should be taken down or reviewed
4. the reason for why you believe you are a right person to ask for this material to be taken
down or reviewed
Upon receipt of a take-down request, ELAR will
- acknowledge the receipt
- make an initial assessment of the validity of the request
- if necessary, seek further advice from the depositor or other suitable individuals or
institutions as required
- if the request is deemed justified, take appropriate steps to protect or remove the material
in question from ELAR
- provide a written response and confirmation of our actions
Where possible, the URLs and persistent identifiers of withdrawn items will continue to point to ‘tombstone’ citations, to avoid broken links and to retain item histories, with:
- link to a replacement version, where available
- a note explaining the reasons for withdrawal
ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE
It is your responsibility to ensure your equipment (computer, laptop, netbook, tablet or other mobile devices) meets the necessary technical specifications to enable you to access and use the website and is compatible with the website. We cannot guarantee the continuous, uninterrupted or error-free operability of the website. There may be times when certain features, parts or content of the website, or the entire website, become unavailable (whether on a scheduled or unscheduled basis) or are modified, suspended or withdrawn by us, in our sole discretion, without notice to you.
WHAT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO
You may retrieve and display content from the website on a computer screen, print and copy individual pages and, subject to the following section, store such pages in electronic form. Additional terms may also apply to certain features, parts or content of the website and, where they apply, will be displayed on-screen or accessible via a link.
WHAT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO
Except to the extent expressly set out in these terms and conditions, you are not allowed to:
• store pages of the website on a server or other storage device connected to a network or create an electronic database by systematically downloading and storing all of the pages of the website;
• remove or change any content of the website or attempt to circumvent security or interfere with the proper working of the website or the servers on which it is hosted; or
• create links to the website from any other website, without our prior written consent.
You must only use the website and anything available on the website for lawful purposes (complying with all applicable laws and regulations), in a responsible manner, and not in a way that might damage our name or reputation or that of any of our affiliates. All rights granted to you under these terms and conditions will terminate immediately in the event that you are in breach of any of them.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
All intellectual property rights in any content of the website (including text, graphics, software, photographs and other images, videos, sound, trademarks and logos) are owned by us or our licensors. Except as expressly set out here, nothing in these terms and conditions gives you any rights in respect of any intellectual property owned by us or our licensors and you acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights by downloading content from the website. In the event that you print off, copy or store pages from the website (only as permitted by these terms and conditions), you must ensure that any copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right notices contained in the original content are reproduced.
We may change the format and content of the website from time to time. You agree that use of the website is on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis and at your sole risk. Whilst we try to make sure that all information contained on the website is correct, it is not intended to amount to authority or advice on which reliance should be placed. You should check with us or the relevant information source before acting on any such information. We make or give no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, completeness, currency, correctness, reliability, integrity, quality, fitness for purpose or originality of any content of the website and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, all implied warranties, conditions or other terms of any kind are hereby excluded and we accept no liability for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of you or anyone else using the website or relying on any content. We cannot and do not guarantee that any content of the website will be free from viruses and/or other code that may have contaminating or destructive elements. It is your responsibility to implement IT security safeguards to satisfy your particular requirements as to the safety and reliability of the content.
The website may, occasionally, include links to external websites. We include these to provide you with access to information, products or services that you may find useful or interesting. We are not responsible for the content of these websites or for anything provided by them and do not guarantee that they will be continuously available. The fact that we include links to such external websites does not imply any endorsement of our association with their operators or promoters.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by English law, and you agree that any dispute between you and us regarding them or the website will be dealt with by the English courts. Nothing shall prevent us from bringing proceedings to protect our intellectual property rights before any competent court.
SOAS University of London is a higher education provider, and we are a Data Controller in respect of the personal data you share with us, which means we decide how and why we use your personal data. We are registered with the ICO, and outnumber is Z6740574. If you want to ask any questions about how we process your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (+44) 020 7898 4817.
You have the right to ask for a copy of your data. To make a Data Subject Access Request, please contact email@example.com. You may also ask us to correct or update your personal details, ask us to restrict the way we process your personal data, object to our processing (including unsubscribing from emails), and ask us to transfer your data to another IT environment on your behalf. For more information on your rights, see our Data Protection Policy here:
We will update this notice as necessary to reflect changes to the type of personal data that we process and/or the way in which it is processed. We will update you on any significant changes we make to this notice by email.
When you visit the website, we may automatically collect information about you, such as the type of internet browser or mobile device you use, any website from which you have come to the website and your IP address (the unique address which identifies your device on the internet) and operating system, which are automatically recognized by our web server. You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on the website and to collect broad demographic information for aggregate use.
• remember that you have used the website before; this means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive and allows us to make sure that we have enough capacity for the number of users we get;
• allow you to navigate the website more quickly and easily;
• collect statistical information about your use of the website so we can improve the website.
Most computers and some mobile web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies using different types of browser. Please note, however, that by blocking or deleting cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the website.
Please submit any questions you have about these terms and conditions or any problems concerning the website in writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org