Resources for Language Documenters and ELAR Depositors
The Depositors’ Resource Collection contains many useful resources for language documenters, whether you are planning to deposit your project’s collection with ELAR or somewhere else.
DATA MANAGEMENT AND TOOL SUPPORT
The Data Preparation bundle (available here) and the Metadata Creation bundle (available here) contain resources that are likely to be of interest to language documenters in general.
These bundles contain materials on the following topics of general interest for language documenters:
- Data Management: how to manage files systematically and choose sustainable file formats
- ELAN Fundamentals: how to create time-aligned transcriptions and translations in ELAN
- FFmpeg Basics: how to extract audio and convert video using FFmpeg
- ELAN-FLEx-ELAN: how to export transcriptions and translations from ELAN and import them into FLEx, and how to export interlinearizations from FLEx back into ELAN
- Lameta: how to create consistent, quality metadata with Lameta
This collection is always growing and being updated, so check back soon for more resources!
DEPOSITING WITH ELAR
For ELAR Depositors, we provide comprehensive documentation on the uploading process in the bundle called In the Loading Bay (available here). If you have not already been in touch with ELAR, please email us to tell us more about your collection and to learn more about the whole archiving process.
For more information about archiving with ELAR, check out these blog posts:
How materials are preserved at ELAR
6 Tips for getting the most out of ELAR’s new platform